June 3, 2008

Carifesta


I really did not want to write about Carifesta since everyone else is....however as I was involved in tourism for a number of years I am always thinking of not only the preparation that goes into hosting an event but I always think of what after? It's funny....thinking about the what afters actually, in my opinion, helps with current event planning. For example, if one of the things you think of when planning the event is "country dressing and clean up", you should question in your mind "what will the visitor leaving these shores say about regent street?" or sophia? or the road leading to Umana Yana? These questions allow you to view the places in question with a critical eye, even more citical than a tourist.

One of the things I hope the event planning bodies in question will be doing is collecting as much ctitical visitor data as they can. It is about time the public is privy to visitor data. Perhaps this will get them started on thinking of tourism in a more serious manner. If they know things like:
1) Visitors loved our pepperpot over our curry goat
2) Tickets were sold out for each and every local cultural show, indicating people love our culture. Can we package this and market it?
3) People loved Orinduk falls over Kaieture survey shows....
4) Our wood craft was a huge hit with Visitors buying 79% of all displayed at X show. They most popular item being XYZ.

It's about time we all recognise the importance of specific data that can help us on a business decision and planning level.

Anyway Carifesta is in two (count 2) months. We don't look ready, but I am confident that the event will flow and everyone will enjoy themselves. I don't think persons really realise what a big deal is, and only will on opening day. In fairness, the tourist board, Min. of culture and THAG etc can't do everything alone. Everyone has to be involved. Everyone. Our manners are a reflection of us. We have to pull out all the "old time" values and show these visitors a good time. Pretent they are visiting your home. How would you treat them? What the planning committee should do is air PSA's reminding people of this. I know Guyana has problems (Which country doesn't?) but ....at the end of the day this event is upon us and we should all do all we can to make it successful.

I love to show off my country, in spite of all the negativity. I can be my country's harshest critic, but I love to show it off. I hope visitors can enjoy all we have to share. Welcome!

No comments: